Students Still Paddled

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

Although the only evidence of its effectiveness is "folklore and conjecture," corporal punishment is still used by 74 percent of the principals questioned in a nationwide poll, according to a university researcher.

Terry L. Rose, assistant professor of education at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, surveyed 232 principals from 18 states.

Of the principals who practice corporal punishment, 91 percent said they spank students with paddles. The other 9 percent either hit students with books, hands, or rulers, or pinch the students or pull their hair, Mr. Rose's survey found.

Principals of public schools in the South were most likely to practice corporal punishment. Boys were more likely to be physically punished than girls.

"Despite the absence of research support, corporal punishment continues to be used in public schools," said Mr. Rose.

"We find ourselves using a disciplinary procedure that we know virtually nothing about," he noted.

Mr. Rose said he would expand his research to examine the effectiveness of such punishment.--ce

Vol. 02, Issue 37

Notice: We recently upgraded our comments. (Learn more here.) If you are logged in as a subscriber or registered user and already have a Display Name on, you can post comments. If you do not already have a Display Name, please create one here.
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories