Who Speaks For You?

April 01, 1991 1 min read

In some districts, for example, both the AFT and the NEA have affiliates. Although only one union can officially represent the teachers of a given school system, another group may attempt to secure enough teacher support to wrest the bargaining rights from its rival. The overwhelming majority of teachers choose to belong to the union that is the local bargaining agent. Once you join a local affiliate of either of the two national unions, you automatically become a member of the national organization and of its state affiliate.

If you decide not to join a union, you should be aware that as an employed teacher you may be required in some jurisdictions to contribute to the local bargaining effort. Roughly 20 states and the District of Columbia allow local unions to negotiate what is called an “agency shop’’ fee. Such a provision requires a school district to deduct a predetermined sum from the salary of each nonunion employee and pay it to the local union to cover your “fair share’’ of the bargaining costs. The fee varies from district to district but is often equal to 85 percent of a member’s annual dues.

Seventeen states do not permit teachers to bargain with their local school boards. Teacher unions exist in these states. But, instead of negotiating locally, they put their substantial resources to work at the state level, lobbying for increased funding for teachers’ salaries and benefits and other initiatives that they believe will aid their members and public education. The locals in these states tend to be service-oriented, providing teachers with professional liability insurance and legal representation, for example.

A version of this article appeared in the April 01, 1991 edition of Teacher as Who Speaks For You?