- “What Makes KIPP Work? A Study of Student Characteristics, Attrition, and School Finance” is by Western Michigan University.
- “Americans Want More Coverage of Teacher Performance and Student Achievement” is by the Brookings Institution.
SCIENCE LEARNING OUTSIDE THE CLASSROOM
- Watch Mr. Wizard, National Geographic Explorer, The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, Nova, Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, 321 Contact, Bill Nye the Science Guy, The Crocodile Hunter, MythBusters, and DragonFlyTV are examples of television programming that promote informal science learning.
- “Learning Science in Informal Environments: People, Places, and Pursuits” is by the National Research Council of the National Academies.
- “Surrounded by Science: Learning Science in Informal Environments” is by the National Academies.
- “Framework for Evaluating Impacts of Informal Science Education Projects” is by the National Science Foundation.
- “Measuring the Impact of a Science Center on Its Community” can be found in the Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
A version of this article appeared in the April 06, 2011 edition of Education Week