Bits & Bytes
'Sexting' Suit Settled
A Pennsylvania school district has settled a lawsuit alleging that a principal illegally searched a student’s cellphone, found nude pictures she had taken of herself, and turned the device over to prosecutors.
The 2,737-student Tunkhannock Area School District denied any wrongdoing, but agreed to pay the student and her lawyers $33,000 to settle the case.
The deal was announced by the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, which represented the teenager in her lawsuit. The ACLU says the student’s claims against the Wyoming County District Attorney’s Office have not been settled and will continue to be pursued.
The girl claims she intended for the racy photos to be seen by only herself and her boyfriend.
Vol. 05, Issue 01, Page 11Published in Print: October 19, 2011, as 'Sexting' Suit Settled
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Drafting / Architecture / 3D Prototyping
- Garinger High School, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Teachers Needed at Top International Schools in China & Hong Kong! All Grades/Subjects
- Edvectus, China (CN)
- Superintendent, Davenport Community School District
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Davenport, Iowa
- Alder GSE Associate Dean
- Alder GSE, Los Angeles, California
- School Bus Driver
- Madison Highland Prep, Phoenix, Arizona