Digital Education Blog
What's up in the world of ed tech? How are schools using digital tools to improve learning? And how is technology driving educational innovation?
Find answers to those and other important questions in Digital Education, a blog produced by DD writers.
Three quarters of the K-12 teachers in a nationwide survey report that they, or a colleague at their school, are assigning homework that requires students to use the Internet. What's more, students in 42 percent of schools are producing or creating their own videos as part of their schoolwork, with the number rising to 60 percent for high school students.
The survey of 1,436 classroom teachers and library media specialists was conducted online last April by Grunwald Associates LLC, of Bethesda, Md., and released by Cable in the Classroom, the cable industry's education foundation.
Video creation seems to be catching on at every school level. Teachers at 24 percent of elementary schools say students are producing and editing video, a figure that rises to 43 percent in middle school, and to 60 percent in high school.
Peter Grunwald, who directed the survey, says the findings show a "sea change in the extent to which teachers are employing mainstream technology by integrating new tools in their classrooms," and bolstering the use of technology outside of school through homework assignments.
Digital Education Archives
Vol. 02, Issue 03, Page 38Published in Print: January 21, 2009, as Digital Education Blog
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- District Superintendent & Chief Executive Officer
- Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES, New Hartford, New York
- Resident Teacher - Master's Degree Programs
- Academy for Urban School Leadership, Chicago, Illinois
- Elementary Teacher
- LaTanja Riley-Hedgepeth - [email protected], Newport News, Virginia
- Assistant Principal
- Elmwood Village Charter School, Buffalo, New York
- High School Teacher (Social Studies, Spanish, Counselor, Music/Drama)
- Erie High School in the St. Vrain Valley School District, Erie, Colorado