The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Physics Teacher (Grade 9) SY18-19
- Dearborn STEM Academy, Boston Public Schools , Boston, Massachusetts
- Assistant Superintendent, Innovative Programs
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, GA, US
- Elementary School Teacher
- San Juan Island School District, Washington State
- High School Math Teacher
- [email protected], Wilson, Arkansas
- Senior Editor
- Facing History and Ourselves, Brookline, Massachusetts