The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Chief Communications Officer
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, Georgia
- Special Education
- Marion County Public Schools, Ocala, Florida
- Director of System Level Partnerships
- Teaching Matters, New York City, New York
- Assistant Superintendent, Innovative Programs
- Fulton County Schools, Atlanta, GA, US
- Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania