The Smithsonian’s History Explorer
A new multimedia search engine for teachers of American history, this site aims to integrate Smithsonian holdings into school lesson plans.
One search on the site, for instance, turned up a Buffalo Soldier uniform worn by an African-American soldier fighting for the Union Army in the Civil War.
The Smithsonian says this project uses an applied-learning technique that emphasizes real-life objects to communicate a narrative of the American experience. The site also offers lesson plans and handouts to accompany a variety of history lessons.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Regional Director-Northeast Region
- NFTE, New York City, New York
- High School Principal
- Paramount Unified School District, California
- Partner Engagement Manager
- AVID Center, Southern California
- School Principal
- Immaculate High School, Danbury, Connecticut
- Education Program Manager II, Chief of Special Education Performance Support & Technical Assistance
- Maryland State Dept of Education, Baltimore, Maryland