When Poetry Meets the Common Core
Poetry can be intimidating. As students, many of us were taught that the goal of reading a poem was to "understand" exactly what the poet was trying to say. No small charge.
The Common Core State Standards can be intimidating, too. Many educators are hearing that poetry and literature must give way to informational text under the new standards.
It would be easy to scratch poems from...
This article is available to registered guests only.
Register free, or login below, to continue reading.
To Access Teacher and Education Week Articles, FREE E-Newsletters, and More!
|FREE! (limited access)|
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- High School Chemistry Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Italy
- Middle School English Language Arts Teacher
- The International Educator, India
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO