Spotlight on Math and the Common Core
Math and the Common Core
|ONLY $4.95||Check out the complete collection of Education Week Spotlights here.|
The Education Week Spotlight on Math and the Common Core is a collection of articles hand-picked by our editors for their insights on:
- Understanding how the math standards will shift when and how topics are introduced
- Preparing students to engage in the eight “mathematical practices” featured in the standards
- Reshaping instructional materials and the role of the “publishers’ criteria” for the common core in math
- Using customized e-textbooks aligned to the standards
- Developing effective tests to assess students’ math abilities
You get the seven articles below in a downloadable PDF. A great value!
The standards will change the grade levels at which some content is introduced, push aside other topics, and ask students to show their understanding.
April 23, 2012 - Education Week
Many teachers are broaching math topics at grades higher or lower than what the standards prescribe—and across more years than called for.
April 24, 2012 - Education Week
The document by the lead writers of the common core is being welcomed by the education community, with noted shortcomings.
August 7, 2012 - Education Week
Dissatisfied with what was available, Utah educators are producing high school math e-textbooks they aim to align with the standards.
September 25, 2012 - Education Week
With the Common Core State Standards hovering, a middle school math teacher discusses her efforts to help her students reason abstractly and approach problems more systematically.
December 31, 2012 - Teacher
It will take more than computer-based tests to truly assess students' math abilities, Hugh Burkhardt writes.
October 2, 2012 - Education Week
The common-core math standards could revolutionize instruction, but it will depend on the follow-through, writes William Schmidt.
July 17, 2012 - Education Week