Spotlight on Literacy and the Common Core
The Education Week Spotlight on Literacy in the Common Core is a collection of articles hand-picked by our editors for their insights on:
- Debating the balance between fiction and nonfiction texts
- Aligning new basal readers and textbooks to the common standards
- Developing literacy skills in students across the subjects
- Using film study to engage students in a variety of literary texts
- Preparing students and teachers for the technology challenges of standards assessment
- Increasing attention on writing in the common core
You get the seven articles below in a downloadable PDF. A great value!
Related Spotlights:Literacy and the Common Core (2012)
Educators are emphasizing the use of nonfiction texts, developing literacy skills across the curriculum, and collaborating with librarians to help prepare for the common-core standards in reading. Download this Spotlight to learn how schools are meeting the English/language arts standards.
English/Language Arts and the Common Core (2012)
The Common Core State Standards are beginning to influence English/language arts instruction. This Spotlight focuses on reading and writing across the subjects, a greater emphasis on nonfiction texts, the debate over prereading, and criticisms of the standards.
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Executive Director
- Charter School NYC, New York, NY
- Darien, CT Superintendent of Schools
- NESDEC, Darien, CT
- Coordinator of Connected Learning
- Center Grove Community School Corporation, Greenwood, IN
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME