Spotlight on Common Core for ELLs
Common Core for ELLs
|ONLY $4.95||Check out the complete collection of Education Week Spotlights here.|
The Education Week Spotlight on Common Core for ELLs is a collection of articles hand-picked by our editors for their insights on:
- Making literacy standards accessible to English-language learners
- Developing uniform definitions that may help to decide who receives ELL services
- Piloting lessons to show what common-core instruction might look like for ELLs
- Working to meet increased academic demands for ELLs in states with common-core standards
- Translating the English/language arts standards into Spanish
- Creating fair and accurate assessments for ELLs
You get the seven articles below in a downloadable PDF. A great value!
An Albuquerque school focuses on making literacy standards accessible to all—including English-learners.
November 14, 2012 – Education Week
The common-core standards may be paving the way for more uniform definitions for deciding who gets ELL services.
February 27, 2013 – Education Week
Experts are piloting lessons intended to show educators what common-core instruction might look like with students learning English.
January 16, 2013 – Education Week
English-learners will have to go beyond the fundamentals and master "academic language," experts say.
April 25, 2012 – Education Week
New guidelines advise states on the language skills English-learners will need to handle the tougher academic content.
October 10, 2012 – Education Week
There is a critical and rising need for fair, accurate assessments for English-language learners, David N. Plank writes.
August 31, 2011 – Education Week
California educators working on translating the Common Core State Standards in English/language arts into Spanish have finished much of their work and are making the translations available to their colleagues around the country.
February 22, 2013 - Learning the Language