(E-Book) The Charter School Movement: 25 Years in the Making
Download E-Book Now.
The 25th anniversary of charter schools marks a period of considerable challenges and successes for the movement. As charters have expanded their reach, some observers inside and outside the sector contend they have wandered far from their original purpose: to be schools of innovation and serve as a research and development sector for traditional k-12 schools. On the contrary, proponents point to achievement gains in places like New York City as evidence of the positive role of charters, while referring to new practices such as weighted lotteries to indicate a receptiveness to making improvements.
In this comprehensive guide to charter schools, Education Week details their impact on:
- Public education
- School choice initiatives
- Student achievement
- Accountability systems
- Special education students
- English-language learners
- Equity and integration
For the latest news and analysis on all things school choice related, sign up for email updates from Education Week's Charters & Choice blog:
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Head of School
- Rossman School, St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
- Spanish Immersion - Elementary
- Fox Chapel Area School District, Fox Chapel, PA
- Lower School Principal
- Sidwell Friends School, Bethesda, MD
- Windermere Preparatory Academy, FL
- City of Cape Coral Charter School Authority, Cape Coral, FL