Full-Service Community Schools: Combating Poverty and Improving Student Achievement
Community schools, or full-service schools, address the barriers to learning created by social problems, such as poverty, that affect students' home life and well-being. These schools do this by partnering with community services and agencies to offer students and their families the supports and services they need to remedy the life problems that impede learning and achievement. This Informed Educator describes effective implementation of community school models and discusses considerations in planning and sustainability. 16 pages.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Middle School Math Teacher - Abu Dhabi Public Schools
- Teach Away Inc., Ab, United Arab Emirates
- School Director
- Menlo Park Academy, Cleveland, OH
- Superintendent of Schools
- Nampa School District (Idaho), Nampa, ID
- Middle School Teacher(s)
- Howard University Public Charter Middle School of Mathematics and Science, Washington, DC
- K-8 Principal
- Amphitheater Public Schools, Tucsan, AZ