Full-Service Community Schools: Combating Poverty and Improving Student Achievement
Community schools, or full-service schools, address the barriers to learning created by social problems, such as poverty, that affect students' home life and well-being. These schools do this by partnering with community services and agencies to offer students and their families the supports and services they need to remedy the life problems that impede learning and achievement. This Informed Educator describes effective implementation of community school models and discusses considerations in planning and sustainability. 16 pages.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Deputy Executive Director
- National Assessment Governing Board, Washington, DC
- Program Officer
- Ford Foundation, New York, NY
- DIRECTOR OF TECHNOLOGY
- Austin Preparatory School, Reading, MA
- Senior Director, AP Digital Product Management
- The College Board, New York, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Allentown School District, PA