Full-Service Community Schools: Combating Poverty and Improving Student Achievement
Community schools, or full-service schools, address the barriers to learning created by social problems, such as poverty, that affect students' home life and well-being. These schools do this by partnering with community services and agencies to offer students and their families the supports and services they need to remedy the life problems that impede learning and achievement. This Informed Educator describes effective implementation of community school models and discusses considerations in planning and sustainability. 16 pages.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Edina Public Schools, Edina, MN
- Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, Williamsburg, VA
- Ben Bronz Foundation, Inc. Executive Director
- NESDEC, W Hartford, CT
- Assistant Principal
- The Help Group, Valley Glen, CA
- High School Principal
- Notre Dame Academy, Hingham, MA