Postsecondary Transition in Special Education: A Parent and Student Perspective
Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 2 to 3 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat.
When students with disabilities leave high school, they also leave behind the extensive rules and regulations that come with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. While many young adults can transition seamlessly into college or work, others find the lack of structure challenging. Parents may not know where to get the additional assistance that their children may still need. Young adults, unused to self-advocacy, may find it difficult to navigate a new set of expectations and requirements.
Join Education Week staff writer Christina Samuels, along with a young adult with dyslexia heading to college, and a parent-advocate who also has an adult son with an intellectual disability, as they discuss ways to ease the transition process for students and their families.
Gloria Clark, rising freshman, Brenau University, Gainesville, Ga.
Barb Ziemke, senior advocate, National Parent Center on Transition and Employment
Christina Samuels (@casamuels), staff writer, Education Week
Ga. Student With Dyslexia Battles Her Way to College (June 4, 2015)
Diplomas Count 2015 (June 4, 2015)
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Boston, Massachusetts Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Birmingham, AL Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fai
- Birmingham City Schools, Birmingham, AL
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Milwaukee, Wisconsin SchoolsJoin Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Milwaukee Public Schools, Milwaukee, WI
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Charlottesville, Virginia Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, VA