Bringing Blended Learning Home: Boosting Web Access
Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 4 to 5 p.m. ET
Note: No special equipment other than Internet access is needed to participate in any of our text-based chats. Participants may begin submitting questions the morning of the chat. Education Week maintains sole editorial control over the selection of the guests and content for this virtual event.
Bringing Blended Learning Home: Boosting Web AccessTuesday, April 14, 2015, 4 to 5 p.m. ET
One of the biggest barriers to making blended learning a reality is not educational, but technological: Many students, particularly those living in poverty, lack reliable Internet access at home. This lack of connectivity prevents students from doing the online homework and research their peers take for granted.
The Kent, Wash., school district is taking creative steps to overcome the problem by putting kiosks providing free Wi-Fi near public housing areas and partnering with local organizations and business to offer Wi-Fi to students.
In this live chat, Thuan Nguyen, the chief information and digital strategy officer for the district, fields questions about the challenges Kent officials have faced in establishing the hotspots, and discusses lessons for other districts trying to boost students' connectivity outside of schools.
Michelle R. Davis (@EWmdavis), senior writer, Education Week
District Extends Wi-Fi to Students in Public Housing (April 13, 2015)
Video: Creating an Out-of-School Wireless Community (April 13, 2015)
Chief Technology Officers Play Key Role in Curricular Issues (March 16, 2015)
All questions are screened by an edweek.org editor prior to posting. A question is not displayed until the moderator poses it to the guest(s). Due to the volume of questions received, we cannot guarantee that all questions will be answered, or answered in the order of submission. Guests and hosts may decline to answer any questions. Concise questions are strongly encouraged.
Please be sure to include your name when posting your question.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Boston, Massachusetts Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM
- Boston Public Schools, Boston, MA
- Free Online K-12 STEM Job Fair | Teaching and Admin. Jobs for 2017-2018
- TopSchoolJobs eXPO, US
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Birmingham, AL Public Schools Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fai
- Birmingham City Schools, Birmingham, AL
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Charlottesville, Virginia Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Albemarle County Public Schools, Charlottesville, VA
- K-12 STEM Teaching Jobs Available in Seattle, Washington Join Our Free Online STEM Job Fair
- Mercer Island School District, Mercer Island, WA