Published Online: January 5, 2016
Published in Print: January 6, 2016, as Minneapolis Suspends Talks With Superintendent Pick

News in Brief

Minneapolis Suspends Talks With Superintendent Pick

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

The Minneapolis school board has suspended contract negotiations with Sergio Paez, the former Holyoke, Mass., superintendent the board picked as its new schools chief, after a Massachusetts district attorney said he was launching an investigation into allegations that special education students at a school in Holyoke had been subjected to abuse during the time that Paez served as superintendent.

The complaints, published by the Boston-based Disability Law Center, alleged that there were instances in which students had been slapped, slammed against the wall, threatened, and restrained for long periods.

Paez said that he took the complaints seriously, followed protocol, and cooperated with state agencies to conduct thorough investigations. Corrective actions were taken, he said.

Vol. 35, Issue 15, Page 5

Related Stories
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login |  Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Commented