Published Online: November 4, 2014
Published in Print: November 5, 2014, as Girl Barred Over Ebola Fears; Father Sues Conn. District

News in Brief

Girl Barred Over Ebola Fears; Father Sues Conn. District

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

A Connecticut father sued his 3rd grade daughter's district last week, claiming it did not have legal justification to bar her from school because of officials' concerns she may have been exposed to Ebola.

In a settlement with the family, the district later agreed to allow the girl to return.

The Milford district had refused to allow the 7-year-old to attend classes until Nov. 3—21 days after her return from a family wedding in Nigeria, says the federal suit, filed by Stephen Opayemi in U.S. District Court in New Haven. Patients infected with Ebola begin displaying symptoms within 21 days of exposure.

The girl, who hasn't been diagnosed with Ebola, also hasn't displayed any symptoms of the illness, the suit says. Nigeria is also not among the West African countries that have been heavily affected by the Ebola virus.

Vol. 34, Issue 11, Page 4

Related Stories
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login | Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Recommended

Commented