Philadelphia school sued over girl's asthma death
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The family of a girl who died of an asthma attack after attending a Philadelphia public school without a nurse has sued the school district.
The wrongful-death lawsuit says 12-year-old Laporshia Massey was kept in school Sept. 25, 2013, despite complaints about breathing problems.
The federal lawsuit, filed Wednesday, says students at Bryant Elementary School weren't allowed to use inhalers or take medicine without a nurse present. It says officials should have called 911, especially since no nurse was on duty. The girl died after returning home after school.
A school district spokesman didn't immediately return a message. The district doesn't typically comment on pending litigation.
Laporshia's father, Daniel Burch, has said the family got two late-day calls about their daughter, but neither sounded urgent.
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Katonah-Lewisboro School District, Katonah, NY
- Head of School
- Triangle Associates, Pottersville, NJ
- Superintendent of Schools
- Winchester School Committee, Winchester, MA
- Township High School District 113, Highland Park, IL
- Current Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations