News in Brief
Authorizer Group Announces Charter-Improvement Status
About 230,000 students are attending better charter schools in the 2013-14 school year, according to the National Association of Charter School Authorizers.
The finding was released as part of a report that details the association's progress toward its One Million Lives campaign, which aims to allow 1 million children the opportunity to go to a better school by encouraging charter school authorizers to close failing schools and open high-quality ones. It is currently one year into the five-year effort.
In 2013, about 490 new charter schools were approved through a rigorous review process, and 206 low-performing charters closed, says the report. The association defines "rigorous review process" as one that meets at least four of five of its essential practices. Out of 642 charter school openings in 2013, 491 met that criteria.
Vol. 33, Issue 24, Page 4
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Multiple Special Services
- Maine Regional School Union No. 10, Dixfield, ME
- Director of Operations (Spanish Fluency Required)
- Ascend Learning, Brooklyn, NY
- Executive Director, Charter Schools
- School District of Philadelphia, PA
- Multiple Positions
- Jersey City Public Schools, Jersey City, NJ
- Head of School
- Saint James School, Montgomery, AL