News in Brief
Authorizer Group Announces Charter-Improvement Status
About 230,000 students are attending better charter schools in the 2013-14 school year, according to the National Association of Charter School Authorizers.
The finding was released as part of a report that details the association's progress toward its One Million Lives campaign, which aims to allow 1 million children the opportunity to go to a better school by encouraging charter school authorizers to close failing schools and open high-quality ones. It is currently one year into the five-year effort.
In 2013, about 490 new charter schools were approved through a rigorous review process, and 206 low-performing charters closed, says the report. The association defines "rigorous review process" as one that meets at least four of five of its essential practices. Out of 642 charter school openings in 2013, 491 met that criteria.
Vol. 33, Issue 24, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom