News in Brief
Virtual Charter Academy Bill Vetoed by Maine's Governor
Republican Gov. Paul LePage vetoed a bill last week that would direct the state to work toward creating a state-run virtual charter academy, citing concerns with part of the proposal that places a moratorium on cyber schools until next year.
In his veto letter, the Republican governor said the bill aims to halt the opening of to the Maine Connections Academy, a virtual charter school that was approved last week by the Maine Charter School Commission. The school is poised to open in the fall, and would serve up to 750 students, Gov. LePage said.
The veto came hours after the Democratic-controlled Senate voted 24-11 in favor of the measure. The legislature would need two-thirds support in each house for the veto to be overturned.
Vol. 33, Issue 24, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh