State of the States
State of the States: Connecticut
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy (D)
Date of Speech: Feb. 6
The state should aim toward universal prekindergarten by adding about 1,000 seats for children this year and building up to 4,000 new seats by 2019, Mr. Malloy told state lawmakers, joining many other governors who have proposed expanding early education in their states.
"If you believe, as I do, that education is the civil rights issue of our time, then I ask you to join me today in taking the first steps toward making sure every child has access to a pre-K experience," he said in his address. The governor's budget for fiscal 2015 includes $11.5 million for the effort, which would be targeted first to children from low-income families.
Gov. Malloy said his administration also plans to continue its work with teachers, community colleges, and business partners to create early-college initiatives, which allow students to earn college credit during high school.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 21, Page 24
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Assistant Director of Enrichment and Special Projects
- TEP Charter School, Fort George, NY
- Invitation to Teaching Professionals to Score edTPA
- Pearson, US
- Superintendent Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- High School Principal, Chicago Public Schools
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Superintendent of Catholic Schools
- The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, Washington, DC