Former head of Philly charter school gets 3 years
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The former head of Philadelphia charter school has been sentenced to three years in prison for embezzling $88,000 in scholarship money and school funds for his personal use.
Prosecutors said after 32-year-old Masai Skief pleaded guilty to two counts of wire fraud in August 2013, he allegedly continued to steal from the Harambee Institute of Science Technology Charter School in west Philadelphia and a related nonprofit.
Skief has been in federal custody since Jan. 16, when he turned himself in after admitting he violated terms of his bail by continuing to steal from Harambee. He was sentenced Monday.
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Principal - Marchman Technical Education Center
- Pasco County Schools, New Port Richey, FL