State of the States
State of the States: Utah
Gov. Gary R. Herbert (R)
Date of Speech: Jan. 29
Saying he wants more high school students to complete computer science and information technology courses, Gov. Herbert called for $4.5 million in new funds for science, technology, engineering, and math education.
In his address to lawmakers, the Utah governor also requested $61.6 million in new funds to increase teacher compensation and $2 million to improve high school career counseling. He also described a forthcoming push to pass new legislation to create "report cards" for schools.
The governor also gave a nod to Utah 4th graders in attendance who helped persuade lawmakers to propose changing the state's official tree from the Colorado Blue Spruce to the Aspen.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 20, Page 20
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Educator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Secondary Teachers
- Roaring Fork School District, Glenwood Spgs, CO
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL