State of the States
State of the States: Maryland
Gov. Martin O'Malley (D)
Date of Speech: Jan. 23
In his final State of the State address after two terms in office, Gov. O'Malley focused on economic and health-care issues, but also pledged to help spearhead an effort to expand universal preschool education.
Gov. O'Malley used his half-hour speech to state lawmakers largely to look back on his accomplishments, including making "critical investments" in K-12 schools. He also listed as priorities delivering technology to more teachers to help them personalize learning for students, and building up career-technical and dual-enrollment programs.
The Democratic chief executive said he aims for "a day when every high school student in Maryland will graduate with a modern technical skill and a year of college credit already earned."
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 20, Page 20
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Muddy Brook Principal
- Berkshire Hills Regional School District, Stockbridge, MA
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Regional School Unit 21, Kennebunk, ME
- Administrative Assistant
- AERO HYDROLIC INC, Chicago Heights, IL
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT