State of the States
State of the States: Illinois
Gov. Pat Quinn (D)
Date of Speech: Jan. 29
Illinois needs a new "birth to 5" initiative that would provide more access to early-learning programs, connect expectant mothers with prenatal care, and expand home-visiting programs and community partnerships, Gov. Pat Quinn said in his State of the State speech.
The Democratic chief executive, who is seeking re-election this year, argued that for every dollar spent on early-childhood education, the state can expect a return of more than $7. Gov. Quinn also cited a $45 million state investment in early-education centers in high-need areas.
In his speech, the governor also highlighted the state's "comprehensive pension reform" to reduce Illinois' long-term liabilities, although the changes to the pension system have angered public-employee unions in the state.
Vol. 33, Issue 20, Page 20
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, South Orange & Maplewood
- The School District of South Orange & Maplewood, Maplewood, NJ
- Head of School/President
- Saint Gertrude High School, Richmond, VA
- Fort Worth Independent School District, Forth Worth, TX
- Superintendent, Somerville Public Schools
- Somerville Public Schools, Somerville, MA
- Superintendent, Lexington Public Schools
- Lexington Public Schools, Lexington, MA