State of the States
State of the States: Missouri
Gov. Jay Nixon (D)
Date of Speech: Jan. 21
The governor used his speech to call for a large boost in education spending, much of it intended to place the state on a path to fully fund its public school foundation formula.
"On the campaign trail, I'll bet almost all of us made a promise to invest in our students and our schools. Well, you know what? It's time to put our budgets where our campaign brochures are," Gov. Nixon told state lawmakers. His proposed fiscal 2015 budget would fund public K-12 education at $3.5 billion, which would represent a $273 million increase over the previous fiscal year.
The governor also proposed spending more on early-childhood education. For example, the Missouri Preschool Project, a competitive-grant program that provides startup funds for districts wanting to expand preschool classrooms, would see an increase from $11.7 million to $31.7 million under his budget plan.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 19, Page 17
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Director, School Police
- Duval County Public Schools, Jacksonville, FL
- Campus Director
- Apex Learning, Livonia, MI
- Assistant Superintendent of Finance & Operations/CSBO
- Community High School District 155, Crystal Lake, IL
- Mars Area School District, Mars, PA
- Director of Professional Development
- Research for Better Teaching, Acton, MA