State of the States
State of the States: Virginia
Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D)
Date of Speech: Jan. 13
In his first speech to the legislature, newly sworn-in Gov. McAuliffe put assessment reform high on his list of priorities for K-12 education.
Speaking only five days after his predecessor, Republican Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, gave his last State of the Commonwealth address, the new Democratic chief executive called for "thoughtful, meaningful, and effective reforms" to the state's Standards of Learning exams.
Gov. McAuliffe suggested that instead of sticking with a multiple-choice exam, the state should consider "essay testing and other ways to measure knowledge and cognitive reasoning."
Gov. McAuliffe also expressed his support for expanded access to prekindergarten education and for helping the state attract teachers. He said he would introduce a budget amendment that includes $5 million to help Northern Virginia cities compete for good teachers.
Vol. 33, Issue 18, Page 21
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations
- Scale Your Impact. Lead a Portfolio of Cleveland Schools. Apply today!
- Cleveland Metropolitan School District, Cleveland, OH
- Aspen High School Principal
- Aspen School District, Aspen, CO
- Superintendent, South San Francisco Unified School District
- South San Francisco Unified School District, South San Francisco, CA
- Director of Schools (Superintendent)
- Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools, Nashville, TN