State of the States
State of the States: Nebraska
Dave Heineman (R)
Date of Speech: Jan. 15
Gov. Heineman used part of his speech to blast the federal Affordable Care Act, saying its mandatory provisions will cost the state $200 million that could have been used for schools.
The federal health-care law also provides states with federal money to cover most of the cost of an expansion of Medicaid for low-income people. That part is optional, and some governors—including Gov. Heineman—are saying no because it will cost states some money, especially down the road.
Gov. Heineman, who outlined no specific education initiatives, also used his address to criticize the federal government for not fully funding special education.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 18, Page 20
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Healthy Start Academy, Durham, NC
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO