State of the States
State of the States: Kentucky
Gov. Steve Beshear (D)
Date of Speech: Jan. 7
Gov. Beshear used his State of the State speech to renew his call for an expansion of gambling to, in part, increase funding for schools.
He recounted the success Kentucky has had in adopting the common-core standards, raising graduation rates, and expanding early education. But he said that momentum will stall without more revenue for schools.
He also is pushing legislation to "provide for more accountability and better transparency throughout our state's early-child-care system."
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 18, Page 20
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Executive Director, Human Resource Services (Data Analysis and Strategic Alignment)
- Duval County Public Schools, Multiple Locations
- Vice President of Public Learning Programs
- The New York Public Library, New York, NY
- High School Director at KIPP Delta Public Schools
- On-Ramps, Blytheville, AR
- Superintendent, Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District
- Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District, Manlius, NY
- Senior Associate
- Great Schools Partnership, Portland, ME