State of the States
State of the States: Indiana
Gov. Mike Pence (R)
Date of Speech: Jan. 15
Gov. Pence offered state lawmakers perhaps his strongest indication yet that he wants Indiana to drop entirely out of the Common Core State Standards initiative.
"Hoosiers have high expectations when it comes to Indiana schools," he said in his State of the State speech. "That's why Indiana decided to take a timeout on national education standards. When it comes to setting standards for schools, I can assure you, Indiana's will be uncommonly high. They will be written by Hoosiers, for Hoosiers, and will be among the best in the nation."
Last year, legislators passed a law "pausing" common-core implementation.
Gov. Pence also used his speech to call for vouchers for prekindergarten, an expansion of charter schools, and incentives for teachers to move to low-performing schools.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 18, Page 20
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal Highland Park High School
- Township High School District #113, IL
- Durham Public Schools, Durham, NC
- T3 Teacher Leader
- Teach Plus, Multiple Locations
- Plainfield Director of Special Services
- New England School Development Council, Meriden, NH
- Multiple Vacancies
- Hazard, Young, Attea & Associates, Multiple Locations