State of the States
State of the States: Arizona
Gov. Janice K. Brewer (R)
Date of Speech: Jan. 13
In her fifth State of the State address, Gov. Brewer introduced policy proposals that include her bid to revive a plan she unveiled last year to overhaul the K-12 formula for state aid.
Saying she wants to reward "innovation and measured outcomes," Ms. Brewer said she would push for legislative approval of "Student Success Funding," which calls for assigning dollar amounts to individual students based on their performance and improvement on Arizona's achievement tests. School districts and charter schools would receive more money for students who perform well on the tests and demonstrate the most growth.
The governor also called for new policies to stabilize tuition increases at Arizona's public colleges and universities.
Watch the Full Address
Vol. 33, Issue 18, Page 20
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA