News in Brief
Gates, Zuckerberg Subsidize School Connectivity Plan
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's organization, Startup: Education, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are donating a total of $9 million to a nonprofit to help train schools to use and manage broadband connections.
The San Francisco-based EducationSuperHighway aims to improve access to high-speed broadband in schools across the country by identifying which schools need broadband improvements, providing districts with technical expertise, helping districts pay lower prices for connections, and pushing for changes to the federal E-rate program.
Its research shows that more than 70 percent of public schools lack the bandwidth required for digital learning.
Vol. 33, Issue 14, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations