News in Brief
Gates, Zuckerberg Subsidize School Connectivity Plan
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's organization, Startup: Education, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation are donating a total of $9 million to a nonprofit to help train schools to use and manage broadband connections.
The San Francisco-based EducationSuperHighway aims to improve access to high-speed broadband in schools across the country by identifying which schools need broadband improvements, providing districts with technical expertise, helping districts pay lower prices for connections, and pushing for changes to the federal E-rate program.
Its research shows that more than 70 percent of public schools lack the bandwidth required for digital learning.
Vol. 33, Issue 14, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY