News in Brief
Popularity of Charter Schools Grows in California
California added 104 charter schools to its roster this year, including 19 in Los Angeles, but it still has some 50,000 students on waiting lists for the campuses, according to a report released last week.
In its annual update, the California Charter Schools Association said enrollment statewide jumped 10 percent, to 519,000 students, as the number of charters grew to 1,130, the most of any state.
The region that includes Los Angeles, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties added 45 campuses, the most of any area in California.
Vol. 33, Issue 12, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Assistant Professor of Special Education, Visual Impairments
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Education, PA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- SAU #88 Lebanon School District, West Lebanon, NH
- Project Director - Boston Academic Strategy
- TNTP, Boston, MA
- Vice President -Curriculum & Instruction
- Discovery Communications, Silver Spring, MD