News in Brief
Nonprofit to Join Charters With Special-Needs Students
A nonprofit based in New York that hopes to break down barriers to charter schools enrolling and effectively educating students with disabilities was launched last week.
The National Center for Special Education in Charter Schools plans to conduct research, provide sample policy language to states and charter authorizers that can help charter schools achieve parity with traditional schools, and promote the work of charter networks that can serve as an example to others.
So far, it has received funding from the Oak Foundation, based in Geneva, Switzerland, the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools, the National Association of Charter School Authorizers, the Walton Family Foundation, and the Academic Development Institute, based in Lincoln, Ill.
Vol. 33, Issue 10, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Founding Principal, Charter School
- OLD STURBRIDGE VILLAGE, INC., Sturbridge, MA
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX