For-Profits Dominate Market for Online Teacher Prep
One by one, the faces pop up on the computer screen. Some of the aspiring teachers hold coffee cups; others have their hair in ponytails or pushed into caps.
It's 6 a.m., California time. Several of the virtual attendees are on a less punishing East Coast schedule. One is tuning in from Taiwan, where it's already nightfall. But nobody's in PJs, because this is a classroom and there are rules about comportment.
The teacher-candidates are taking part in the online Master of Arts in Teaching program offered by the University of Southern California's Rossier School of Education. Over a span of months, they will learn how to teach in urban schools without meeting one another—or their...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA