Published Online: October 1, 2013
Published in Print: October 2, 2013, as Newtown Told to Release Tapes of School 911 Calls

News in Brief

Newtown Told to Release Tapes of School 911 Calls

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints
  • CommentsComments

After an appeal by the Associated Press, a Connecticut commission ruled last week that the Newtown police department must release the tapes of 911 calls made during last December's shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

The police department has avoided turning the audio over, and the state legislature passed a law earlier this year creating exemptions to freedom-of-information requests, but those exceptions don't apply to 911 tapes.

In a meeting of the Freedom of Information Commission, the board ruled unanimously against the state. Danbury State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky III said he plans to appeal the panel's ruling.

The Newtown recordings remain concealed pending the outcome of the state's appeal.

Vol. 33, Issue 06, Page 4

Related Stories
You must be logged in to leave a comment. Login |  Register
Ground Rules for Posting
We encourage lively debate, but please be respectful of others. Profanity and personal attacks are prohibited. By commenting, you are agreeing to abide by our user agreement.
All comments are public.

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories

Viewed

Emailed

Commented