Upstate NY parents seek homework break for kids
NEW PALTZ, N.Y. (AP) — Hey, teachers, leave them kids alone during vacations.
That's the message some Hudson Valley parents are sending to educators in their school district in asking for a moratorium on homework assignments during school breaks and extended holidays.
The Times Herald-Record of Middletown reports (http://bit.ly/152VT7L ) that parents are circulating a petition to the superintendent and high school and middle school principals in New Paltz in Ulster County, 75 miles north of New York City. The petition asks that no homework be assigned over breaks and holidays.
So far, the petition has garnered more than 50 online signatures.
Supporters say breaks from homework will ease stress on students. Claudia Forest, mother of a 10th-grader at New Paltz High School, says excessive homework requirements are crowding out other possibilities for her daughter to lead a balanced life.
Information from: The Times Herald-Record, http://www.th-record.com
Get 10 free stories, e-newsletters, and more!
- Principal, Niwot High School
- St. Vrain Valley School District, CO
- Butler Junior High School Principal, 6-8
- Butler School District 53, Oak Brook, IL
- Ridgefield Public Schools, Ridgefield, CT
- Lake Forest School District, Felton, DE
- Accomack County Public Schools, Accomac, VA