Better Teacher-Candidate Mentoring Targeted
Summer Brewer’s first student-teaching experience taught her many things, all learned the hard way.
The teacher she was apprenticed to gave students worksheets for whole class periods and never got up from her desk. By Ms. Brewer’s fourth day, her mentor was spending most of her time in the teachers’ lounge.
“I was essentially a full-time teacher,” said Ms. Brewer, now a second-year high school English teacher in the Henderson County district, in Tennessee. “I’m not sure how [she] still gets student-teachers, unless the principal does it because he knows it’s the only way any...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- School Superintendent
- Westborough Public Schools, Westborough, MA
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- Associate Director of Curriculum & Instruction
- Generation Ready, New York, NY