George Lucas' Promise to Invest in Education Prompts Speculation
'Star Wars' creator advocates digital learning
George Lucas' announcement that a majority of the proceeds from the sale of his film company will be funneled into education philanthropy has sparked speculation among educators about where the new influx of money might be directed.
The creator of "Star Wars" has a history of involvement in education, and it may provide some clues for those who hope to gain financial support for innovative ideas and for those who believe particular topics in education, such as technology or the arts, need additional emphasis.
Chris Tebben, the executive director of the Portland, Ore.-based Grantmakers for Education, a membership organization for public and private education-related philanthropies, said traditionally philanthropists give to education in areas in which they...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO
- Rockwood School District, Eureka, MO
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY