"Ringing the Bell for K-12 Teacher Tenure Reform"
Few analyses have been conducted on past state efforts to overhaul teacher-tenure policies, concludes a report that recommends ways states, districts, and unions might approach the issue of tenure reform in the future.
The report, issued last month by the Center on American Progress, a Washington-based think tank, provides an overview of the tenure-granting procedure and profiles efforts in six states to change the process.
It urges the federal government to continue its push on overhauling evaluation systems to facilitate a dialogue on teacher tenure. The report also recommends that states change tenure statutes to require that retention and dismissal decisions incorporate teacher-effectiveness data, ensure that tenure changes are not overridden by local contracts, and link licensing systems to teacher-effectiveness measures.
Vol. 29, Issue 23, Page 5
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Park City School District, Park City, UT
- Director of John C. Dunham STEM Partnership School
- Aurora University, Aurora, IL
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL