N.Y. Legislature Rejects Charter School Bill
The Legislature in a special session Monday refused to act on a bill Gov. David Paterson said is needed for the state to have a chance at $700 million in federal school aid.
Republican senators, who were ignored by the Democratic majority when they tried to bring Paterson's bill to a vote, said the result will likely be loss of the federal aid, higher school taxes and a net cut of hundreds of millions of dollars in statewide school funding.
The Legislature was due back in session Tuesday morning. But there was little support among majority Democrats for Paterson's bill that would allow more charter schools than the Legislature's bill, which also restricted how charter schools operated...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Senior Curriculum Developer and Trainer
- Institute For Curriculum Services, San Francisco, CA
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL