Lingle Proposes New Plan to End Teacher Furloughs
In another effort to restore Hawaii's shortened school year, Gov. Linda Lingle gave some ground with a new proposal Friday. Despite her concessions, the offer is similar to previous plans that the teachers union has rejected.
Lingle is asking teachers to convert three fewer planning days to instructional days than she had previously sought, which would help regain 24 of the 27 remaining teacher furlough days scheduled to shutter schools statewide this school year and next.
Most other aspects of her...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- Associate Director of Marketing & Business Development
- Generation Ready, New York, NY
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA