Students, Others Rally for Michigan School Funding
School advocates and Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm are keeping the pressure on Michigan lawmakers to raise more money for education.
Hundreds of students, parents and school officials rallied Tuesday at the state Capitol to take their message directly to lawmakers. Students called on the Legislature to avoid budget cuts that could trim school programs across the state.
"We want to show them it's hurting us more than they think it is," said Zane Thomas, 17, a student at Thurston High School in Redford near Detroit. "I don't think they understand how deep...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Superintendent of Schools
- Orleans Parish School District, New Orleans, LA
- Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Louis Park, MN
- Senior Content and Curriculum Leader
- BrightBytes, San Francisco, CA
- High School Principal
- New Albany Plain Local Schools, New Albany, OH
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL