Negotiations Intensify on Final Stimulus Plan
Negotiators hoped to seal agreement on President Barack Obama's economic stimulus package Wednesday after making good progress in the first rounds of closed-door talks.
Obama's negotiating team insisted on restoring some lost funding for school construction projects as talks began Tuesday in hopes of striking a quick agreement, but by late in the day it appeared resigned to losing up to $40 billion in aid to state governments.
Earlier Tuesday, the Senate sailed to approval of its $838 billion economic stimulus bill, but with only three moderate Republicans signing on and then demanding the bill's cost go down when the final...
This article is available to registered guests only.
To keep reading this article and more, register now, subscribe,
or start a 2-week FREE trial for the best site-wide access.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Grand Center Arts Academy, St. Louis, MO
- School Superintendent
- Westborough Public Schools, Westborough, MA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Florence Public School District One, Florence, SC
- 3rd Grade Teacher
- New Hope Academy Charter School, Brooklyn, NY
- Associate Director of Curriculum & Instruction
- Generation Ready, New York, NY