News in Brief
Chicago Leaders Urge Students Not to Heed Call for Boycott
Chicago education officials, pastors, and community leaders are fighting what they call “mixed messages” about whether students should attend the first day of classes this week.
Arne Duncan, the chief executive officer of the 408,000-student district, spoke at a rally Aug. 28 on the South Side and implored students to aim for perfect attendance. He criticized those organizing a school boycott to protest school funding disparities.
State Sen. James Meeks and a group of Chicago pastors say thousands of students have agreed to skip school on Sept. 2. They will be bused to a northern suburb to try to register at a more affluent school instead.
Vol. 28, Issue 02, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- World History Teacher
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, FL
- High School Physics Teacher
- The International Eduator (TIE), Major cities worldwide, In, United Kingdom
- Jefferson County Public Schools WV, Charles Town, WV
- Director, Adult and Career Education
- The School District of Lee County, Fort Myers, FL
- High School Principal
- Unionvile-Chadds Ford School District, Kennett Square, PA