News in Brief
Chicago Leaders Urge Students Not to Heed Call for Boycott
Chicago education officials, pastors, and community leaders are fighting what they call “mixed messages” about whether students should attend the first day of classes this week.
Arne Duncan, the chief executive officer of the 408,000-student district, spoke at a rally Aug. 28 on the South Side and implored students to aim for perfect attendance. He criticized those organizing a school boycott to protest school funding disparities.
State Sen. James Meeks and a group of Chicago pastors say thousands of students have agreed to skip school on Sept. 2. They will be bused to a northern suburb to try to register at a more affluent school instead.
Vol. 28, Issue 02, Page 4
Get more stories and free e-newsletters!
- Roaring Fork School DIstrict, Carbondale, CO
- Diverse Learners Teacher
- AUSL, Chicago, IL
- Neuhaus Education Center, Bellaire, TX
- Superintendent, Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Cedar Rapids Community School District, Cedar Rapids, IA
- Faculty, pre-school, international school
- Scholastica, Dhaka, Dh, Bangladesh