Mentoring Seen as Necessary for Rookie Teachers
High levels of mentoring and support for novice teachers greatly improve their retention rates, a study by the Consortium on Chicago School Research says.
The Chicago-based organization surveyed 1,700 elementary and high school teachers in the city's public schools. It also found that a program designed to give novice teachers the skills and resources they needed, but without following up with mentoring and support, was not effective.
- CHIEF ACADEMIC OFFICER ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDANT, OPERATIONS
- Fresno Unified School District, Fresno, CA
- Superintendent of Schools
- Ashburnham-Westminster Regional Schools, Ashburnham, MA
- Highland Falls-Fort Montgomery CSD, Highland Falls, NY
- Green Chimneys, Brewster, NY
- Executive Director
- Sturgis Charter Public School, Multiple Locations