Published Online: January 24, 2006
Published in Print: January 25, 2006, as Conn. School Boards Offer Endorsements of State’s NCLB Suit

News in Brief: A National Roundup

Conn. School Boards Offer Endorsements of State’s NCLB Suit

Article Tools
  • PrintPrinter-Friendly
  • EmailEmail Article
  • ReprintReprints

The attorney general of Connecticut announced last week that 109 of the 169 school boards in the state have voted to endorse the state’s lawsuit challenging the federal No Child Left Behind Act.

Richard Blumenthal said in a Jan. 17 statement that a “groundswell of grassroots support” exists for the lawsuit, which charges that the federal government is illegally forcing the state and local districts to spend their money to meet what the U.S. secretary of education says are the law’s requirements.

Mr. Blumenthal, who filed suit on Aug. 22, was scheduled to offer oral arguments this week in New Haven on the federal government’s motion to dismiss the case. ("Conn. Files Long-Awaited Lawsuit Challenging No Child Left Behind Act," Aug. 22, 2005.)

Vol. 25, Issue 20, Page 6

Back to Top Back to Top

Most Popular Stories