News in Brief: A Washington Roundup
Measure to Reauthorize Vocational Ed. Law Introduced
Rep. Michael N. Castle, R-Del., has reintroduced a bill to reauthorize the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Technical Education Act, which governs federally funded career-oriented programs.
A spokeswoman for Republicans on the House Education and the Workforce Committee said the measure was similar to a bill Mr. Castle introduced last year, which would have set new standards to gauge the academic rigor of state and local career programs, among other provisions.
That measure died in the House last year, as did a Senate proposal to reauthorize the Perkins Act. The chairman of the Senate education committee, Sen. Michael B. Enzi, R-Wyo., and other Republican leaders are working to finish drafting a new Perkins bill and plan to introduce it soon, said Craig Orfield, a spokesman for the GOP members of the committee.
Vol. 24, Issue 21, Page 33
- Director, Professional Development Curriculum Design & Development
- Northwest Evaluation Association, Portland, OR
- Middle School Teachers - $125K Salary
- The Equity Project (TEP) Charter School, New York, NY
- Deputy Superintendent
- Blue Valley Schools, Overland Park, KS
- Alphonsus Academy & Center for the Arts, Chicago, IL
- Online Career Fair - Clark County School District
- Clark County School District, Las Vegas, NV