Template for Improvement
The Southern Regional Education Board plans to vote later this month on the education goals listed below. The last time the group passed such goals for its 16 member states was in 1988.
Goals for Education
1. All children are ready for the 1st grade.
2. Achievement in the early grades for all groups of students exceeds national averages and performance gaps are closed.
3. Achievement in the middle grades for all groups of students exceeds national averages and performance gaps are closed.
4. All young adults have a high school diplomaor, if not, pass the GED tests.
5. All recent high school graduates have solid academic preparation and are ready for postsecondary education and a career.
6. Adults who are not high school graduates participate in literacy and job-skills training and further education.
7. The percentage of adults who earn postsecondary degrees or technical certificates exceeds national averages.
8. Every school has higher student performance and meets state academic standards for all students each year.
9. Every school has leadership that results in improved student performanceand leadership begins with an effective school principal.
10. Every student is taught by qualified teachers.
11. The quality of colleges and universities is regularly assessed and funding is targeted to quality, efficiency, and state needs.
12. The state places a high priority on an education system of schools, colleges, and universities that is accountable.
Vol. 21, Issue 41, Page 24