Shaping School Leadership
For additional reading on the role of principals in school leadership and reform:
- "Does Professional Community Affect the Classroom? Teachers Work and Student Work in Restructuring Schools,'' by K.S. Louis and H.M. Marks, in the August 1998 issue of the American Journal of Education.
- What's Worth Fighting for in the Principalship?, by M. Fullan, published in 1997 by Teachers College Press in New York.
- "Reassessing the Principal's Role in School Effectiveness: A Review of Empirical Research 1980-1995,'' by P. Hallinger and R. H. Heck, in the February 1996 issue of Educational Administration Quarterly.
- Leadership for the Schoolhouse: How Is It Different? Why Is It Important?, by T.J. Sergiovanni, published in 1996 by Jossey-Bass in San Francisco.
- Educational Leadership for America's Schools, by Allan R. Odden, published in 1995 by McGraw-Hill in New York.
- Developing Expert Leadership for Future Schools, by K. Leithwood, P.T. Begley, and J.B. Cousins, published in 1994 by Falmer Press in Washington.
- Reshaping the Principalship: Insights From Transformational Reform Efforts, edited by J. Murphy and K.S. Louis, published in 1994 by Corwin Press in Thousand Oaks, Calif.