A Sampling of Questions From Rhode Island's SALT Survey
Asked of 9th to 12th graders:
How often do you have the following experiences at your school?
- Your teachers ask you to memorize material.
- You participate in debates or small-group discussions in classes.
- What you are studying in one class is closely related to the topics that you are studying at the same time in other classes.
Asked of teachers:
How often do the following practices occur in your class?
- Students engage in "hands on'' learning activities.
- Class activities are designed to present information in a way that matches the student's preferred learning modality (e.g., kinesthetic, tactile, auditory, or visual).
- Class presentation is primarily lecture.
Asked of parents:
How often have you done each of the following this year with the oldest child you have in this school?
- Visited my child's classroom.
- Practiced spelling or other skills before a test.
- Told my child how important school is.
Source: Rhode Island Elementary and Secondary Education Department.